vistumbler and google earth

petew

vistumbler and google earth

Post by petew »

I am a newbee to this tech site and have a problem trying to get google earth to work with vistumbler v10.2. I have an hp pavillion laptop running windows 7 home premium x64 and cannot get the gps feature to map any sites. Need info on how to setup the gps feature to work with google earth. I have tried the three options kernal 32, netcomm and commmg with no success to connect to google earth which is installed on the same laptop. Please advise...
zeroasterix

Re: vistumbler and google earth

Post by zeroasterix »

I am having a similar difficulty, It can be quite a challenge getting this all set up but once you do it's beautiful!
So I have done this before without problems, but I am trying this on new hardware and encountering a snag
I am using a GlobalSat usb gps puck (BU-353) with vistumbler v10.11 and Google Earth
I have the Auto KML streaming into google maps successfully and I have vistumbler input in google earth
but instead of seeing the APs mapped out all I see is my current location. Hmmmmm
what could I be doing wrong?
Any ideas/hints greatly appreciated
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Post by ACalcutt »

@petew
Before you use google earth you need to make sure you have a gps position in vistumbler. If you don't have a gps position, nothing will show up in google earth. I usually use kernel32, but you need to have a port number below 8 to use it.

@zeroasterix
It sounds like you actually have a gps location, but that the AP Network links aren't working. In google earth check to see if they show as disconnected network links (you would see a little red ball). If it does show as disconnect, go into vistumbler and redo the network link (Extra --> Open KML NetworkLink)
mofroj

Post by mofroj »

i am having a similar problem as zeroasterix. i am using the same gps device (BU-353) with the latest version of vistumbler and Google Earth. when i export the results of the scan to a kml file and call up the file in google earth, it maps the access points to MY LOCATION at the time the access point was detected, not the actual location where the access point resides. is this the way the software is intended to work, or do i have something setup incorrectly?
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

mofroj,

What you are describing is the expected behavior. Vistumbler reads your position from the GPS. The location the access point gets mapped to is where it had the strongest signal. Vistumbler will not estimate where in access point is.... it shows where it was strongest on the path you took.