New User .... Dumb Question

doc_newton

New User .... Dumb Question

Post by doc_newton »

Hi,

I know this is probably going to sound like a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyway... In the last few days, something has happened to my home wifi network that has caused me to be unable to connect to it with my computers and other devices. I downloaded Vistumbler hoping to find out if I had a channel conflict with neighbors, weak signal, or whatever...to try to determine why a perfectly good network suddently didn't work.

I ran Vistumber...and the software has captured signals from several devices (my router and neighbors as well.) Each signal shows as being active for a few seconds...and then goes dead for a few seconds...then becomes active...and on and on. This cycle is very consistent and regular.

My question...the dumb one...is this. Does this indicate that there is some sort of interference that is killing my wifi signal or is this an issue with my computer and/or software? I am not real strong in my understanding of networking and wifi, and I'm not sure exactly what the vistumbler is telling me.

Can anyone shed some light on what might be going on?

Thanks a ton for your help.
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Re: New User .... Dumb Question

Post by ACalcutt »

From what you are describing this sounds like a vistumbler/wifi card thing. Some wireless cards need the "Time to wait before marking ap dead" (Setting --> Vistumbler Settings) raised from the default to something like 5 seconds. Also, before trying to raise that timeout, make sure you are disconnected from any wireless connections before scanning with vistumbler.

I don't think this indicates an issue with your networks, but more the way your wireless card reacts to the way I refresh networks in vistumbler.
doc_newton

Post by doc_newton »

Got it....

Thanks much for the information!
jeff1909

Post by jeff1909 »

doc_newton wrote:Got it....

Thanks much for the information!
Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question!
malon9091

Post by malon9091 »

Hi Everyone i hope you will be fine ...... thanks for this useful and nice post i request you all to share many more informative post for us ...... thanks a lot good luck
"DaviD"