netsh doesn't update as requested

grantusmaximus

netsh doesn't update as requested

Post by grantusmaximus »

Hello,

First of all... EXCELLENT program.. I'm very impressed and very grateful for the efforts that have gone it to its development...

I've noticed a bit a problem and I'm curious as to whether 'its just me' or a simple design limitation...

I have a vague understand of how this application works and through some trials of the netsh command I actually believe that this command only returns the wlan's known to the PC... it doesn't actually initiate the request sent through the air to get the surrounds AP's responses...

I've been using Vistumbler on the bus to work the past few days and was surprised by the lack of responses I was getting... and even more so by how long AP's were staying active considering the bus was traveling at a decent speed...

I did a further test and with Vistumber open and opening the Vista WLAN wizard... If I kept hitting the refresh button (to refresh available networks) in this I actually was finding 5 times as many networks while traveling in addition to them dropping out as quickly as I would have expected as I was going along the road...

I realise this only puts forward a problem (and it may just be me).. I'm going to do some more research tonight to see if netsh is actually suppose to do what one might expect it too.. but I suspect this 'searching for available networks' handled by another process running at its own set intervals? whilst netsh only returns the results of this?

Interested to hear the thoughts of others!

Cheers,
Grant
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Post by ACalcutt »