Wrong date format

NFH

Wrong date format

Post by NFH »

Please could you fix the date formats so that they appear correctly according to the Windows regional settings - for dated filenames, dates in exported files and the version date on the title bar. For example, "02/05/2009" looks like 2nd May 2009 to most people in the world, but probably looks like 5th February 2009 to users in the United States. Furthermore, a minority of countries (e.g. Japan and Sweden) use another date format, yyyy/mm/dd. It is extremely confusing for users outside the United States if Vistumbler ignores the Windows regional settings and displays dates in month-day-year format, particularly when the day of the month is 12 or less. If you follow the user's Windows regional settings (as most Windows applications do), all users will see dates in a format that they understand.
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Re: Wrong date format

Post by ACalcutt »

I can probably make it an option to change the date format. I personally prefer the mm/dd/yyyy format (probrably because I am a united states user), but i can see it would be annoying to other regions that are not used to that format.

I have been busy this month so i haven't had much time to work on vistumbler, but i will try to make the change asap.
NFH

Post by NFH »

Thanks for looking at this. I forgot to mention that the Japanese yyyy/mm/dd format is ideal to use in filenames, regardless of the Windows regional settings, because it causes the filenames to be sorted in date order. Other than this, I wouldn't bother giving the user the option to choose the format manually within the application. It's easier just to follow the user's previously chosen Windows regional setting automatically.
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

I have implemented regional dates in 9.1 Beta 4 inside vistumbler. Right now the export files still use the m-d-y (until I decide how I want to do them). I also changed the default save filenames to "y-m-d h-m-s" and put it back to local time.

If anyone prefers to use a different format it can be set in the settings file (Settings\vistumbler_settings.ini). Under the Vistumbler section there is now a "DateFormat" option, by default it should load this setting from the regisry if it does not exist.
You can manually change it if you would like a different format. the options are
DateFormat=M/d/yyyy
DateFormat=d/M/yyyy
DateFormat=yyyy/M/d
(technically you can put these things in any order you want (ex d/yyyy/M, yyyy/d/M) but those are the standard formats).

Eventually I plan to add an option in the settings window(and will default to the regional setting)
NFH

Post by NFH »

I've upgraded to 9.1 Beta 4 but I'm still seeing dates in mm/dd/yyyy format, except for the filenames which now appear in Japanese yyyy-mm-dd format. For example, the title bar says "By Andrew Calcutt - 03/04/2009", which looks to me like a date in the future, i.e. 3rd April 2009.

I've tried adding "DateFormat=d/M/yyyy" to vistumbler_settings.ini but it makes no difference. Am I missing something?
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

Maybe make sure you don't have two DateFormat lines? Also to note, I did not change the title text (didn't even think of think of that)
dateformat.jpg
dateformat.jpg (79.24 KiB) Viewed 5485 times
dateformat2.jpg
dateformat2.jpg (76.82 KiB) Viewed 5485 times