GPS in Vista x64

ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

GPS in Vista x64

Post by ACalcutt »

I just moved from Vista x32 to x64 and the Netcomm OCX is not compatible. This means that right now Vistumbler does not have GPS support in Vista x64.

:sniffle:
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

this should be fixed in the next release (v7.2)
paullubbock

Re: GPS in Vista x64

Post by paullubbock »

You don't have to wait for version 7.x, I figured out how to get Netcomm OCX to work with Vista64 bit Ultimate and my bluetooth iTrekM5+ GPS reciever. I could not get CommMG to work with Vista64 U at all. So I figured out a quick hack to get old Netcom OCX to work.

Download the Netcomm OCX zip if you don't already have and copy the netcomm.ocx to your vistumbler folder, although it doesn't really matter where you put it but since its related to Vistumbler, I put it there. Now find and download mscomm32.ocx from this location http://www.yes-tele.com/mscomm.html and copy it to your Vistumbler folder also. Again it doesn't matter were you put them but when you got to register them in the next step its nice to know where they are and easier when you are already at that folder location.

Now open a cmd shell windows from your windows start - run than cmd , Now with your windows box open navigate to your vistumbler folder.

Now register both netcomm.ocx and mscomm32.ocx with these commands.
Regsvr32 [/u] [/s] <OCX File Name> (/u unregisters and /s does a silent install)

example: Regsvr32 netcomm.ocx

You have to register both files. You will get a successfull message if you did it right. Now open your Vistumbler and under GPS settings change it to Netcomm OCX and make sure your GPS ports are correct and apply. You should now have your GPS working with the old Netcomm OCX under Vista 64.

If this is a new "hack" that is not found by someone else remember to give credit, where credit is due for my discovery otherwise please give that other person credit and share to whoever needs it.
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

Just to note, version 7.2 was release a long time ago. The solution I mentioned was CommMG. Unfortunatly it seems CommMG does not work for everyone, so thank you for this information (i swear i had tried to register netcomm.ocx....i must have needed mscomm32.ocx also)
paullubbock

Post by paullubbock »

Thank you for all your work with Vistumbler its an impressive app when running and connected to google earth.

A side note on the most recent build. If you allow the update which it goes out and finds the Netcomm OCX hack goes away and you will have to re- apply the registered files. Also, I noted a bug where the Vistumbler window disappears yet its running in the taskbar. If I tell it maximize it maximizes and fills the whole screen, ok but not ok if you are running a two pane Vistumbler and G-Earth windows. If I minimize it again it just dissappears to the taskbar. No amount of alt-tabbing or trying to find a handle appears.

What I ended up doing was going back to the previous build, applying the OCX fix and disallowing updates through the firewall. Not ideal but it works. Again this is all under Vista64 bit Ultimate Edition.
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

If updates are causing an issue you can disable the automatic updates from vistumbler(Settings --> Vistumbler Settings --> Uncheck "Automatically check for updates"). You can still manually update using (Help --> Check for updates). I'm not sure why the updates would cause netcomm to unregister.

Could you explain your other problem a little more? I've never had the vistumbler window disappear like that. Is it only when you are using google earth? What language is your version of windows?
paullubbock

Post by paullubbock »

It was an odd window problem. I am running the English version of Vista64. Normally Ican maximize an app to full screen or switch to window mode and resize to any size or minimize to taskbar. This is all pretty standard stuff. When I updated, there were only two states. Maximized to full screen or minimized to the taskbar. I could not reduce it to window mode to resize. Sometimes invoking the move option while the app is in the taskbar will reduce it to window mode and appear with the move handles but that did not work. Sometimes alt tabbing from app to app will help to reset the app window but that did not help in this case as alt tabbing to vistumbler just caused the windows pointer to appear on the top left corner of the screen but there was no window or app to resize or open.

It was just an odd error and I have since then reverted to version 9.0. which works great for me. I get an error that my google earth settings are wrong but it works great anyways. The error is only on changing settings but does not appear at any other time.

Is there somewhere I can send a screen shot of how incredible Vistumbler looks in action?
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

You can post pictures on the forum, screenshots are always welcome (Probably in one of the General sections would be best). You can also email ACalcutt@vistumbler.net if its not something you want to post.

I am going to try to replicate your problem, but if i had to guess something probably isn't right in your WindowPosition section of your vistumbler_settings.ini. You could try deleting this section to reset the window positions and sizes back to default. It could also be SplitPercent or SplitHeightPercent in the Vistumbler section, but i would think WindowPosition first
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

It looks like the GPSmap 60CSx should work.

On your garmin device do you have "NMEA In/NMEA Out" selected in your interface settings? Do you have any unknown devices in device manager (under "other hardware")?