Able to open the Vistumbler settings screen more than once

fbaart

Able to open the Vistumbler settings screen more than once

Post by fbaart »

Although I'm very happy with Vistumbler I have two remarks:
- I am able to open the Vistumbler settings screen more than once. Problem is that you loose all your settings when you do this and you need to reinstall Vistumbler. Of course there is no reason to open this screen more than once but a mistake is easily made.
- When I use my Senao adapter (EUB-362 EXT) the signal drops at regular intervals. It then shows zero signal but in fact the signal remains the same. My other, build-in adapter, works without this problem.

Some other improvements that would make Visumbler easier to use:
- The Dutch text for refreshing the network is "Verbinding met netwerk maken"
- For me personally the function to refresh the network may disabled default.
- It would be nice if your settings would be saved if you update the program.

What I like specially in Vistumbler is the spoken signal strength: you don't have to check your screen each time you redirect the directional antenna! Great!
And also the smart "label" that makes selecting the correct access point so easy when he SSID broadcast is shut off.

Great tool!
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Re: Able to open the Vistumbler settings screen more than once

Post by ACalcutt »

All good comments.

1.) I will fix the settings window problem, that shouldn't be hard to fix
2.) The dropping to zero may be because of the network refresher. I've noticed that on my friends laptop when it was enabled
3.) Do you mean "connect to a network" is "Verbinding met netwerk maken"?
4.) I enable the network refresh by default because vistumbler gives better results with it on. I may consider disabling it in the future
5.) If you use the built in updater (Help --> Check for updates) or automatic updates then vistumbler will save your settings file (unless I make a change that requires a settings file change...which isn't often).

One exception is the change I made last night. Last night I changed the way vistumbler uses language files. I also removed and renamed some language files at the same time. If you where using one of the languages I renamed/removed then vistumbler was unable to find the language file and reverted to English. This wasn't a usual change and was mainly done so I could send out updates to the language packs and the user wouldn't need to switch to another language and back again to get it to work. (before when you loaded a language pack it loaded the text into vistumbler_settings.ini and the program would get the text from vistumbler_settings.ini . now it reads the text directly from the language pack, so if the language file gets updates vistumbler will automatically have the updated text on next load)

If you use the exe install package from the website it will always overwrite the settings file. Right now the only way to keep your settings when updating using the exe installer is to back up your settings file (Usually in c:\program files\vistumbler\settings\vistumbler_settings.ini), install, then replace the new settings file with the old one. This is something I also want to change in the future.

6.)You can thank lllbob for requesting the speak signal feature(http://forum.techidiots.net/forum/viewt ... ?f=9&t=102). It was a good idea and I am glad I added it
7.)Labels are a feature you can thank our network guy Huy for. He requested that way back in 2007 and I added it in v5.2
ACalcutt

Re: Able to open the Vistumbler settings screen more than once

Post by ACalcutt »

Multiple setting windows being able to open should be fixed now. It has been fixed in v9.2 Beta 2.2